Thursday, May 19, 2022

Milestone Moments

As an animal lover, I enjoy focusing on all their triumphs. Two days ago, we got our first quail egg! Now, I don't know how many females we actually have, but now we know we are least have one. The egg was a little cracked and soft, so we know to give the quails some oyster shell to firm up some. 

Today, I got to take part in S'mores first time eating out of my hand. It's the first thing I teach my girls to do. Cookie Doe is the only one left to learn now, but she's the youngest anyway so that's normal. The second thing I teach them is to accept my petting them. Sundae is a pro at this, and Cocoa and Scotchie tolerate it for now. Soon, I'll start teaching them the third thing: accepting a halter. This will help them learn to be walked; whether to go into the vet's office, to learn new areas of our land, to get their hooves trimmed, etc. I've been fortunate to make a new friend who is well versed in goats and she's a great asset in learning proper training and care. 

Lastly, all the animals are getting the nighttime routine down pretty well. I'm managing four out of five goats coming into their stall without asking and ten out of eleven chickens. One of our baby Plymouth Rocks (probably the one who got in Kenzie's mouth the other day) fights us to go into the aviary nightly. We're hoping she'll learn soon though as she's a tricky one to capture!

Quail egg

No comments:

Post a Comment