Tuesday, December 13, 2022

That's New

Warning, this blog talks about cow urination. If you're squeamish, stop reading today's blog and come back tomorrow. 

Ok, the last couple of weeks we've been more wet than dry with our weather. Coupled with that, we have clay soil which doesn't allow water to drain quickly. Then, we have a small hole in the roof of the barn over the cow stall. So, we have a little pond in one small part of their stall. What we didn't realize is that our cows have been keeping it moistened by urinating on it. Ugh. 

I researched ways to allow a more sanitary flooring for our cows and because Google can read my mind, it showed me articles about how you can train your cows to urinate in one spot. Huh, didn't know that was possible and furthermore, it looks like I've inadvertently taught them already. Good to know. Now, I'll get that spot sorted and see if they'll keep using that area. It will actually help if we only have to treat one area. Oh and side note, they don't defecate in their stall. Everywhere else, and I mean everywhere else, they do, but not in their stall. They're fascinating creatures!

No, I wasn't going to share a pic of the cow potty lol

No comments:

Post a Comment