Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Polled, Disbudded or Horned

As we're approaching the start of our goat kidding season, I thought I'd share a little information about goats and their horns. Forgive me if I've mentioned this before. 

We have two females that are polled, Cocoa and Caramel. This means they were born without horns. When someone wants a goat that is Disbudded, this means they want the kids to have their horns cauterized to prevent further growth. Horned means they stay natural with their horns. 

A lot of people will mix up polled versus disbudded and a lot of people prefer their goats to not have horns. Why? The people want to protect themselves from the head butting goats do at times. Also, several people are misinformed about horns claiming they aren't necessary. I disagree and I keep the horns for the goats I currently have. Most likely, I will refuse to disbud for potential buyers, but I'm going to speak with my veterinarian first. Anyhow, I believe in animals staying mostly the way they're born. Goats who have horns are given a better chance at weathering extreme temperatures of cold or hot. Hello, we're in Texas, let's give them a fighting chance in the summer!

Now I said mostly I keep them the way they are born. I will be banding my bucklings who are born. Essentially that means neutering them. I'll explain more about that another time. Going back to horns, I've also found those with horns tend to love scratching themselves with them. Who doesn't love a good self scratching?

No comments:

Post a Comment