Monday, February 13, 2023

A Little Cheesy

We're prepping to begin making cheese hopefully by next week, so I've been reviewing all we need and what we'll need to do. I like to share my information and here it is. 

To make basic goat cheese, or chevre if you want to be fancy and I do, you only need a few ingredients. One of those is obviously goat milk which we have, but the other is rennet, which we don't. When searching for rennet, the helpful Google box asked if I wanted vegetarian rennet or regular rennet. Huh? What is rennet anyway? Well, traditionally it's the enzymes of a goat's stomach. I apologize for those in the past that told me cheese wasn't always vegetarian, I stand corrected. 

Since we're going to have plenty of milk and I'll be trying out different recipes, I'm going to go ahead and try both rennet versions. Which would y'all be interested in trying?

No comments:

Post a Comment