Thursday, November 3, 2022

Stars At Night

Figured I'd use this blog to talk about the friends of the night sky non-profit group Rob and I joined. While we don't live in the darkest of skies, we are fortunate to see more than we used to since moving to the country. When we went to the winery a few weekends ago, it was for a stars event party and that's where we learned what they're trying to do. 

Basically, it's cutting out light pollution. If you don't need a light on outside, turn it off. If you do need one, there are better bulbs and directions of those bulbs to use to cut down the ambient light. Now why should this matter? Besides being able to see the stars better, it's also to benefit all living creatures. We all have circadian rhythms with daylight and darkness. Too much light for us affects our sleep. Too much light for deer affects their antler growth. Too much light for bugs attracts them and their predators to the lit areas. There's more, but you get the idea. 

So now, I'm the online person for the group. I'm responsible for the website, Facebook and Instagram accounts. It's easy for me and let's me help in a way I'm comfortable with. Remember everyone, stars up and lights down!

I don't have a camera for the job and stars, sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment