Sunday, April 30, 2023

He's Dandy!

You remember in an earlier blog I was saying what I should fill the isolation cage with? One smart aleck friend suggested an elephant. Yeah, no. However, we did already have someone in mind. Meet Dandy, our red male micro donkey! Also known as Fancy's boy toy. 

The past four or five months, Fancy has exhibited signs of, well, pretty much her namesake from the Reba song. Except for one small problem, we didn't have a male of her kind to be nice to. That problem is now solved. 

Dandy is non-dominant, which is perfect. Simply put, he'll just say yes dear to anything Fancy tells him to do. Whether it's "time to go to bed, get in the stall" to "move so I can get that piece of hay" he does it. No complaint, no push back. This week, I'll let them be free with each other, but next week I'm going to start inserting myself again as the alpha. Fancy knows I am as I'm the one who tells her to go to bed, but Dandy will also need to know she's not in charge, I am. 

First animal he met was Nutty. Absolutely no problems there, thank goodness!

He wore the lead for about twenty minutes just so he and I could get acquainted. 

Fancy was the second to introduce herself, it went supremely well. 

All three took to each other very quickly. Patches loves being the tallest!
My Dandy 

No comments:

Post a Comment