Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Caledonia

It's official, we're the proud human parents of the smallest little heifer! We're naming her Caledonia, which literally means Scottish Highlands. She's the first calf born on her farm and my parents suggested her name as it was the name given to Scotland by the Romans. Rome wasn't built in a day, neither is Fur Real Farms, but we're doing pretty good!

Caledonia (probably going to just call her Callie), is tiny, but she is stout. I picked her up to carry her into the barn because of storms, and she's heavier than Kenzie. So at least forty pounds. I'm actually going to go with sixty-ish pounds because it was a struggle for me to carry her. Of course, she was asleep and didn't help at all, but I was just so happy to hold her!

Ciarán and Caledonia are recovering, but I'm thinking tomorrow they might both be more active. It was incredibly humid hot today and I can just imagine what that feels like to them. The most wonderful thing though is how all the cows greeted the newborn last night. Fiona, the lead, met her first. Ciarán was ever watchful, but Fiona approved of the calf. Next, Coorie, Ciarán's first calf, greeted her half sister. It was a sweet moment and the three have been close ever since. More tomorrow, I don't want to over type!

No comments:

Post a Comment