Sunday, April 28, 2024

Toffee's Farewell

This past batch of kids, I've done something different and it seems to have worked. I've always made my goats social, but as kids, I would let them get away with only a cuddle or two a week. When they've left here, even though I've chosen awesome people who love them as much as I do, they became antisocial. I think now, I've cracked the code. 

For six weeks, every single day, I have given each of the kids cuddles and basic training of learning their names and to come. What's more , once I introduced them to the herd, I made sure they still had to come to me and get cuddles. It takes patience. It takes going out there when it's freezing cold, burning hot, windy like Oz, and rainy like I should be building an Ark. It takes finding their sweet spot of scratches and using it liberally. 

Today, the first of this batch went to her new home. Toffee welcomed her new humans enthusiastically, greeted all her new herd through the protective fencing, and had absolutely no problems adjusting. They even commented about how soft her fur was due to the constant petting. I think I've figured out success! I'm only letting one more go from this batch, and that's Marshmallow. I'll share a pic of her tomorrow, but she's still a week away from being able to go to a new home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment